Before 1700, Lutheran frontiersmen and women marked out new territory in the area known today as Douglassville. Driven by their desire to provide for their families and make a life for themselves, they endured great hardships. One of the first priorities for these pioneers was to establish places of worship where they could give thanks for God's grace and protection.
By 1753 the first church in Douglassville was built, shared by Lutheran and Reformed Christians.
It was a frontier church; a simple log structure. Unfortunately, no pictures of it exist. It sat on Old Swede Road in Amityville in the front half of the old cemetery, east of the present St. Paul's UCC Church.
During 1872 - 1873, the stone church was demolished and a large brick church was built. It was 52' x 81' with seating for 700. It had a balcony on three sides and a 123' steeple. The total cost was $23,635 of which $2,000 was used to purchase a new organ.
In 1883, the steeple was struck by lightening and demolished.
In 1889, a brick Sunday School Chapel was erected at a cost of $2,300.
In 1917, the Chapel was destroyed by fire and the present Chapel was erected at a cost of $4,500.
On June 11, 1922, a tornado destroyed the church building.
June 12, 1960 - The Parsonage was completed, with a construction cost of $33,208.
October 26, 1960, Lutheran Church Women were organized under the pastorate of Rev. Paul J. Dundore.
April 26, 1964 - A Christian Education building was dedicated for a cost of $101,972.
November 3, 1966 - A self-study committee was formed between Lutheran and U.C.C. congregations to discuss future needs.
November 19, 1972 - Lutheran Congregation voted to accept $100,000 for their share of the building, and the Union relationship was dissolved.
Groundbreaking for the current St. Paul's Lutheran Church was held May 5, 1974 and the last Lutheran worship service at the Union Church was held May 25, 1975.